One Small Thing: Joanne Harris


The one small thing that's keeping me sane and focused right now is my garden - not really so much of a small thing (it's nearly 5 acres, mostly of woodland), but certainly a source of enormous pleasure and sanity for me in these troubling times. I've been working on the cultivated part almost every day for the past few months - I have fruit trees, rhubarb, currant, raspberry and gooseberry bushes, vegetables and all kinds of things coming up right now - and the wooded part (see picture) is always filled with new surprises. My grandfather (who was a professional gardener) used to say to me (I think it's a quote, but I've never been able to find out where from): "To be happy for a day, read a book. To be happy for a year, fall in love. To be happy for a lifetime, plant a garden." 

I think he would have approved of the way I'm spending my lockdown...


Joanne Harris’s Ten Tweets are a constant source of pleasure, equally welcome to writers and readers. Her tips are not only hard-earned and well-considered but they also spark debate and creative thought. Frankly, they are marvels in miniature. (IAN RANKIN)

Joanne Harris’s Ten Tweets have been tiny islands of sensibleness and wisdom in the sea of lunacy that is Twitter for a long time now, dispensing advice and distilled observation to those who follow her. I’m delighted they are going to be collected in one place and, selfishly, am looking forward to catching up with all the ones I’ve missed. (NEIL GAIMAN)

Joanne Harris’ #TenTweets series is an invaluable, no-nonsense and honest resource. Her pithy, often very funny, advice demystifies writing the publishing industry for new and aspiring writers. (CRESSIDA COWELL)

Joanne is not only a master of her craft but has the rare gift of being able to explain that craft, and offer peerless advice, in the clearest, no-nonsense, practical and entertaining of ways. Wherever you are in your writing voyage, Joanne is the perfect navigator. Learn, absorb, and enjoy! (MATT HAIG)


Joanne has just released 'Ten Things About Writing' - I've always loved the 'Ten Things' threads on Twitter and have downloaded today. You can order it on Kindle, Kobo and Apple, and preorder the book here. Find out more about Joanne's work here.

Stay well, stay safe, stay home.