One Small Thing: Adèle Geras and Sophie Hannah

Adèle: The Chinese fisherman ornament has been in my life since 1952, when I was eight. My father worked for the British Colonial Office and the ornament lived in our house in Jesselton, British North Borneo. I liked him very much. My parents let me take him with me when I went to boarding-school in England in 1955. He sat on my chest of drawers for eight years. Three times a year I wrapped him carefully in soft clothes and he travelled in my trunk when holidays came round and then back to school when term started. He was there at St Hilda's College Oxford from 1963 to 1966. 

When Sophie was born, I thought he was appropriate for a child's bedroom and put him on a shelf in her room. I don't remember ever telling her about him and his long and perilous history. I shudder to think how many times he might have got smashed to pieces along the way...but Sophie has pointed out his indestructability and that is true. He survives. He doesn't change.

She must have taken him with her when she left home to live in her student house in Manchester and I was pleased she liked him enough to do that. She's moved house a few times and here he still is....there's something magical about his survival. He abides. And he reminds me of a time, many years ago, when I lived in a tropical paradise.

Sophie: Until I noticed him on a shelf and chose him for my lockdown-inspired #afewofmyfavourite things slot on Twitter/Instagram, I never really thought much about this ornamental fisherman. I'm not much of a one for ornaments and hardly have any in my house. I used to have loads as a child, and this little chap is almost the only one who has survived all the culls and house moves. Why did I choose over and over again to keep him while discarding so much else? I'm not sure - I somehow had a vague sense that he was particularly important, but if I had ever known why then I certainly couldn't remember the reason. I do recall, though, saying to my husband when we unpacked our boxes after moving to Cambridge, 'This fisherman is important - make sure not to knock him off the shelf and smash him.'

Then, many months later, I knocked him off the shelf myself, by accident. He fell and landed on a coffee mug. The mug (which was not a favourite) smashed, but the fisherman remained intact. I thought to myself, 'The important thing, the thing that really matters, is indestructible.' I can't remember what was going on in my life at that particular moment, but this felt like such an important message in relation to whatever it was. Ever since that incident, which was about five years ago, I have thought of those words every time I have looked at the fisherman: 'The thing that really matters, the important thing, is indestructible.' It's an idea that has really helped in so many situations.

You can learn more about Adele's work here, and about her forthcoming book The Rajah Quilt, here.

Find out more about Sophie's work here. 'Haven't They Grown' is a Kindle pick. If lockdown has you thinking about the book you have always wanted to write, Dream Author Coaching is here.

Stay well, stay safe, stay home.