One Small Thing: Deborah Carr

My One Small Thing is a piece of Lalique crystal given to me by my god-mother on my fiftieth birthday. It sits on my mantelpiece and at the moment has a jar of Lily of the Valley from my garden behind it. 

I've loved RenĂ© Lalique's designs since being given a book about them in the eighties. I was then amazed to discover that not only is there an entire church with his famous opalescent glass within it but also that it's here in Jersey. The church is St Matthew's Church but is known locally as, The Glass Church. I've visited many times over the years and it never ceases to inspire me. Coincidentally, Florence Boot the woman who inspired my Mrs Boots series was the woman behind this exquisite creation. 

Florence was widowed in 1931 and in 1934 she commissioned renowned architect, A. B. Grayson to do an extensive renovation of the small church which is opposite her Millbrook home that she shared with Jesse. She also commissioned her friend, RenĂ© Lalique who created the angels set into the double front doors at the entrance and inside he placed a three metre high cross with Jersey lilies festooned around it as well as huge angels behind the altar, a baptismal font and the magnificent windows, all of which are made out of his impressive crystal. Despite the island being occupied during World War Two the church remained untouched and we are lucky to still be able to visit this creation of Florence Boot's. 

My Lalique pot with the poppy design on its lid makes me smile and reminds me of my god-mother and the rest of my extensive family who, like everyone else during lockdown, I'm unable to visit. We always have fun when we're together and I look forward to the time when we can all meet up once again.

You can find out more about Deborah's work here.

Debs is part of the Blonde Plotters, who masterminded the brilliant MyVLF.com hosts of The Big Book Weekend. It brought together the best of cancelled literary festivals from across the UK. You can see interviews with Bernardine Evaristo, Maggie O'Farrell, Marian Keyes and more by registering here.

Stay well, stay safe, stay home. Or alert.