One great line


So the pilot left in the early hours, off for another tour (Boeing, Boeing Gone - Aruba and Liberia this time). The goodbyes never get any easier, feeling the distance grow knowing that he is going somewhere else (alone, with grown ups, hotels, spas and tropical beaches), while I (we) are here. I drove to the local store for pilot fuel last night (strong coffee, bananas, crisps), for his long drive to the airport. At home we've reached the point where the children now graze for themselves - you glance in the cupboard and think you have plenty of food, only to find when you reach for a packet it is empty. On the way home from the store, a Joan Armatrading concert came on the radio. 'I am not in love, but I'm open to persuasion ...' Isn't that a great line? I used to love that song - well, still do. I hadn't heard 'Love & Affection' for years - amazing how music always manages to take you hurtling back in time (broken hearted but hopeful 17 year old lying on sunbaked earth by the lake listening to a walkman). Just for a moment I wasn't a frazzled mother of two I was someone else entirely.

TODAY'S PROMPT: 'Write one good line you'll be famous' (Writing Down the Bones). What is the best line you have ever written? What is your favourite quote? Is there a line from a song or movie you just love ('You know how to whistle Steve ... just put your lips together and blow' takes some beating)? What do you love about them - the emotion, the imagery? How can this feed into your current work?