New Year's Resolutions

No, I haven't gone completely mad - I never make resolutions on January 1st because I don't know about you but my will power is at an all time low just after Christmas with the bleakest months still to come. (All you want to do is hunker down by the fire with a good book). I do however love this time of year - particularly living near the south coast (bleached blonde fields of corn, poppies, clear blue skies, sea and forest walks). It may be a little unusual but I have always made my resolutions on my birthday, and as there is only ten days to go (not that I'm counting, or hoping for lemon cake made by the six year old and helium balloons like last year or anything ...) - I thought I ought to have a look at 2007's and see how they have gone.

Well, they haven't. It has been a complete and utter wipeout - I have failed, miserably. Out of twelve I managed one - take a holiday. We drove up to the Hamptons out of season and it was glorious - there's a photo of Flying Point in the side bar. We had spent a lot of time in New York (the pilot's parents lived out there for a while), and had driven up to Maine, down to Cape May but this was our first time here. Have you seen 'Something's Gotta Give' with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton? Her fictional Hampton's home is on this beach, and sometimes I watch the film just to dream about a writer's retreat like that. Just thinking about it now (deserted white beaches, chill sea air, light and space) makes me feel calm and contented which is no mean feat at the moment.
Of the rest of the resolutions (buy a home, get back to my pre-baby weight, sell the book, get some help with the kids, spend time in Venice alone with the pilot etc etc ...) none of it happened. So what did happen? The last few days I've been wondering if I could have done more. The whole debacle with the first agent doing nothing with the book for a whole year knocked out several of the resolutions dependent on actually providing for the family, earning a serious living, but why am I not #11 'Be relaxed happy fun mother wife and friend ..?' (the pilot can confirm I am no closer to this particular resolution after I went ballistic when he showed me photos of tropical beaches, flamingos and bikini clad stewardesses when he returned from Costa Rica last night).

TODAY'S PROMPT: I'm trying to think of more achievable resolutions for next year (or should I just roll over the ones from last year?) Meanwhile, have some fun - have you ever tried listing out '100 wants before you die'? It can be anything - bestselling book, world peace, herb garden, pug dogs, lavender lined paths, or a painting in the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition are just some of the ones I jotted down before I ran out of ideas at #47. If it has been a long time since you sat down and thought 'What do I want ..?' this should be fun for you. This is not a question busy parents/writers/workers often ask themselves so it can be liberating and illuminating. Most of my time is taken up with 'What do I have to do ... what do they want ...' I don't know about you. So get comfy with a glass of wine or a cup of cocoa in your recently jazzed up writing space and start at # one. 'I want ...' and see how far you get - let me know. For me at least, this is going to be the year of no regrets. Someone said beautiful young people are a freak of nature - beautiful old people are a work of art. Let's start setting our kids a good example of how to make every year count.