Scandalous Women ...

Laurel Thatcher Ulrich's famous phrase should be pinned in every girl's classroom or bedroom. The women I researched for 'The Beauty Chorus' were anything but well-behaved - and today I'm delighted to talk with Elizabeth Mahon about them over at the brilliant Scandalous Women blog, based in New York. (I should warn you, you can lose hours on that site :)

I admire these Spitfire girls more than I can say - they were brave, modest, disicplined, skilful and tremendous characters. Their work was vital to the Allies success in WW2 - and yet it has been all but overlooked. I'm hoping The Beauty Chorus might introduce a few more people to them. What I love when you hear the veterans talking about their experiences flying is that they all say how much fun they had. It was dangerous, exhausting - but they had the time of their lives.

Meanwhile, I'm flying back 'home' to the desert today. More news on the launch later, and I'll see you with the Scandalous Women ... x