Back to the Future



20/8/2071 Somewhere in France ...

For the past sixty years author Kate Lord Brown has published at least one best selling novel a year. On her hundredth birthday we catch up with her to discover more about her prolific career. Kate has lived in France for over half a century at one of two writer's retreats she established in the 20's. The other retreat is at a secret tropical island location, and is run by a co-operative of writers Kate met during the early days of blogging. At the isolated chateau this productive but private author lives with family (she has numerous grandchildren and great-grandchildren), friends, and a famous pack of wild Afghan hounds that roam majestically across the parkland keeping wild beasts and snoopers at bay ...

Q: 100 years old! How do you do it?

K: I've always looked to successful authors and artists for inspiration. The polymath Beatrice Wood put her longevity and productivity down to young men and chocolate cake ...

Q: Is that your secret?

K: (laughing) well look around ...

(I note a large Chocolate Nemesis laid out on the terrace for tea, and several strapping young men tending the parkland).

Q: How would you describe your process? You've published over sixty bestselling novels, countless articles and screenplays ...

A: It's simple really - writing is a job like any other. You turn up at your desk and do your best. You put in a full day - every day.

Q: But how do you write so much?

A: In the early days I could type at thought speed. Then of course when they introduced thought recognition software that speeded everything up. Now I can just walk, think out the first draft of a new story and my assistant takes care of producing the hard copy.

Q: Of course you're known for the rather eccentric practice of still publishing paper books alongside the ebook editions.

A: I wouldn't call it eccentric. I'm a romantic, and so are a lot of my readers. I still like curling up in bed or beside the fire with a real book. Even after all this time, ebooks haven't been able to replicate that sensual pleasure.

Q: Tell me more about the two writers' retreats.

A: When I was starting out writing, I would have given anything for basic things - help with the children, a break from work, just the time to write without interruption. That's what I wanted to give back - the retreats are charities, writers can apply to come and stay for two days or two weeks. There's always a big waiting list ... We have creches, spas ... this is more of a family retreat, the island is a bit racier but then it is run by some of the very successful comedy writers I met through WKDN in the noughties.

Q: And several new authors have launched their own careers as a result of their stays here?

A: Yes they have. I'm very proud of them all. Everyone seems to like staying here - publishers, agents, artists. It's a creative and relaxed place to do business.

Q: What are your hopes for the future?

A: I don't think about that. I feel lucky to still be here doing a job that I love. After a particularly rough patch in my life and career at the end of the noughties, I realised you have to live every day to the full because you don't know what is around the corner.

Q: Carpe diem?

A: Exactly.

TODAY'S PROMPT: Why not go back to the future yourself? Imagine what you would say to yourself ten, twenty, fifty years down the line? If you've never tried Proust's questionnaire for an artist try it out and save a copy of your answers - it's amazing how your responses will change over the years. x