Tuesday, 9 June 2009

One

Beryl Cook - Birthday Cake

200+ posts, 2000 readers a month, 20000 in the first year from 100 countries - today, welcome Albania (this feels like the Eurovision Song Contest)! I grabbed my glamorous assistant on his way out to the airport this morning, and the pilot picked Magpie's name from the hat - so Magpie if you'd like to email me your snail mail address there's a proof copy of the WKDN workbook on its way to the US.

Thanks to all of you for making WKDN more fun than I ever imagined possible. I was just reading this morning that what really builds a readership is not massive promotion but grass-roots word of mouth recommendation, and this I think is the great thing about the blogging community because that's precisely the model it is built on. This started a year ago with a couple of posts, a couple of comments and has gone from there. Both Natasha who interviewed me at Thursday Sweet Treat and Bryce at Story Hack are very kindly putting up posts today to help spread the word about the WKDN book for War Child, and thank you to all of you who have put up widgets and mentioned the book in your blogs.

It's sink or swim with blogs as with books - if people like what you are writing they will stick around. I hope to keep on coming up with new ways to help you think about your writing (and do tell me if I start repeating myself :) As Mr Maass wrote: 'the best career plan is simple - please readers on a regular basis'. That's all I'm hoping to carry on doing for you. x

15 comments:

Scarlet-Blue said...

Congratulations Kate!!! And here's to many more posts!
Sx

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

Happy Blog Birthday Kate!! You know I love your blog.

EmmaK said...

Oh Kate, where did you find that picture of me frolicking about in the nude with that cake? I will continue to enjoy your positive attitude and writing tips. We believe you can do it! Like I said to Missy - we will all three of us get published. Yes it may be once we are menopausal and wearing adult diapers but it will happen!

Kate Lord Brown said...

Thank you Scarlet!

Pseudo you're a star!

Emma - ack, ewwww! When we are published we shall knock out bestsellers and eat cake on our island writer's retreat just like the Cook :)

Melissa B. said...

I laughed out loud at that first image! What a positively Bacchanalian way to celebrate 200 posts. I'm so glad that Pseudo introduced us, you know? It looks like those chicas are indulging in the Ben & Jerry's Stressbusters Diet, oui?

mapelba said...

Happy Bloggy Birthday.

There are so many blogs I want to read, but there is so little time. Yours is one I keep coming back too. Stay around please!

Vodka Mom said...

Happy, Happy bloggy birthday!!!

and that picture is to die for.....

Emily said...

well, happy one!

Natasha said...

Happy Birthday, Kate!! You are an endless inspiration to me as a writer and as a person. I can't ever imgine you repeating yourself...your take on things is always so fresh! You are fabulous ...please keep writing and writing and writing!!

Your interview is actually posted on my Thursday Sweet Treat site BUT I will also post it to Nachos if you like :)

Kate Lord Brown said...

Melissa - if you have a chance do google Beryl Cook, she's a classic British artist :)

Marta - thank you. Think we're all in the same boat, so much great work out there so little time.

Thanks VM - yes, a glimpse of paradise ..:)

Thanks Emily!

Natasha - thanks so much for your kind words and the great questions. Link is up! x

Rose Works Jewelry said...

Congrats on all the followers! I found your blog because of Natasha - and now I'm going to be following too :)

Kate Lord Brown said...

Welcome Rose - thank you, that's great - Natasha is a real treasure.

Misssy M said...

Happy Birthday to WKDN. Don't take this the wrong way but it seems that you have been around for longer. I have no real idea when my blog birthday is- I think I'm nearly four but changed platform half way through so can't be sure anymore.

Keep up the good work- it's not easy posting good stuff a few times a week.

Scarlet-Blue said...

I received my book this morning!!! Well done you!
Sx

Kate Lord Brown said...

Misssy - thank you, we've all been around the block/blog :) You could be like the Queen - the Misssives deserves at least two birthdays one for each platform.

Scarlet - you're the first!! Thank you so much. Hope you enjoy it and it's useful - having rabbited on for a year blogging oddly nervous about people reading wkdn in book form! Still, all for a good cause.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...