Chocks Away



How are you all? I've just chased a cockroach the size of a mouse across the bathroom (*shudders* they've been spraying industrial quantities of PifPaf at ground level, and I think they've all rocketed up to the top floor ...) Anyway, (deep breath), I'm cockahoop at the thought of a flying visit home, to do some filming for 'The Beauty Chorus' at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford. Grown men, ex-RAF chaps here are *green* with envy at the thought of getting within sniffing distance of a Spitfire. Can't wait. It's going to be a whirlwind three day visit, but I am so excited at the thought of Cambridge, London, old haunts, old friends and a chance to catch up with my lovely agent and publisher. Then there's bookshops, grass, autumn leaves, BLTs, proper tea ... not to mention the first time I've flown alone for nearly nine years (the pilot is babysitting, bless him). So while the chaps are envious of the Spitfires, every mother I've spoken to covets the idea of 8 hours peace in a 777.

Meanwhile it's been busy here. A reading at Bloomsbury Qatar Foundation where I road tested two of the characters from the new book was interesting - an all-Qatari audience, two young (male) Qatari writers, and me. Rather intimidating. I wasn't sure how the Spanish Civil War would go down, but I hope it was a good sign when a man came up to me afterwards and told me my story had 'broken his heart' ... must mean Rosa and Freya are working.

The second reading of the week was to Year 4 at the Doha British School (I'm not sure which audience was tougher actually :) 60 or so 8 year olds don't take any prisoners, and they've been studying WW2 this term, so they knew their stuff. I showed them today's clip about the Spitfire girls, and read them the (edited), opening of 'The Beauty Chorus'. It was the first time reading from the proofs that have arrived. I think the first time you see your work as A Book is unforgettable, something we all dream about. It's a moment that makes it all worthwhile. Also, when your daughter's funky 20-something teacher points at the cover and says 'That's gorgeous, I wish I could pull off that look,' you've got to smile.

TODAY'S PROMPT: How's NaNo going? A combination of the writers' workshop with Leila Aboulela and Nano has been a good inspiration/kick up the backside. For me it's not about sprinting to 50,000 words (which will be a fraction of the completed book), but a steady 2000 +/- words a day of new work. It's the intricate, historical part of the story which mirrors the modern storyline I've already written, and I'm loving it. Freya is becoming 'round' as a character. Have you ever thought of characters like that? Round or flat. Today, why not think of characters that you've fallen in love with - or ones that have left you cold. Think about how you can make them 'round' - have you ever tried character questionnaires or essays? (There are several online, but if you'd like to see the ones I use, drop me an email and I'll mail you once I'm home).