Moving Stories



Maybe when you run out of bookshelf space, you know it is time to move. The latest addition to my teetering stacks of much loved books is Kathleen Grissom's 'The Kitchen House'. How many of us dream of having our debut novels downloaded on Kindle? No, you want the physical thrill of your book in your hands and on the shelves - and this first novel is a cracker. It's not only beautifully written, it is beautiful to look at, and beautiful to hold (why are US books 'silkier' than ours, with lovely soft pages as you turn them?). And this book certainly keeps those pages turning compulsively, late into the night. Life is crazy at the moment here with the move to Qatar - but this book has been something to look forward to, a great escape at the end of another day's packing. It is sweeping, romantic, tough - and the voices of the heroines ring out clear and true. Kathleen's book is published by Simon & Schuster this month - there's a link in the sidebar for anyone tempted. I'm sure you'll love it too. I caught up with Kathleen recently to talk about her road to publication ...

So, your debut novel is published this month. How are you feeling Kathleen?

Mostly, I am excited and happy, however, occasionally I feel like a “cat on a hot tin roof”! As a writer I led a rather quiet life, which I prefer, but it has recently come home to me that soon I will be on a book tour and in the public eye. It’s strange to spend years writing about characters that you come to love, then know that they, and you, will be thrust out for public scrutiny.


Have you always written? What was your working/family life before writing this novel?

I have always written, but this is my first published book. Before this novel, my husband and I were renovating an old plantation house in southern Virginia. There we were also raising Cashmere goats, while operating a tearoom and gift shop on our herb farm. In fact, it was during the renovation of our period home that we were shown the old map that inspired me to begin writing The Kitchen House.

What inspired you to choose this story?

There was a notation on that old map, located in the vicinity of the home we were renovating. It read “Negro Hill.” We had the original deed to our house and from it we learned that in 1830, when it was built, the owner had slaves. Immediately, I wondered if the notation on the map might have involved any of them. I spoke at length with some of the local historians, in particular, with an elderly African American woman, Mrs. Lowe, whose family had descended from slaves. Though she did not know the origin of the notation, she, and others, felt certain that it represented a tragedy.

What was your route to publication - agent? publisher? rejections?

After five years, when the manuscript was finally ready, I happened to meet (a coincidence?) Kate Longstreet, a published author who mentored me in the writing of a good query letter. I had plenty of rejections, but that only had me appreciate my terrific agent, Rebecca Gradinger, that much more when she signed me.

What's been the best bit so far of seeing your first novel published?

It isn’t so much seeing the book itself that thrills me, but when others respond to my beloved characters, it satisfies something in me on a soul level. I feel that I have done my job in telling their story.

Have you got a lot of readings/a book tour planned?

Yes, I will be doing a book tour. It will include a short stop in Manhattan, then I will be focusing on Virginia and North Carolina. If anyone would like to know more, I have the schedule posted on my website: www.kathleengrissom.com

So what's next? Is there another novel coming along?

Yes, I have another wonderful group of souls who are waiting on me. The next book is about a true-life Crow Native woman, Crow Mary. In 1872, after she married Abe Farwell, a fur trader, Mary adjusted to her difficult life by sporting a Colt 45 and a large sharp hunting knife. And she wasn’t afraid to use them!
But then, there’s the rumor that she murdered her husband…

Finally what's your advice to anyone dreaming of seeing their first novel published?

If you feel called to write, create a space for yourself. Stay open to what comes. Trust. Then write!
Keep an open mind. Have only a few trusted readers, but if one of them asks you, as an example, why a character does a certain action, don’t become defensive. Ask yourself the same question. Stay open to help.
When you are writing, remember, “What does not come from the heart will not reach the heart”. (I didn’t say that and I can’t remember who did, but it is so true for me.)

Thanks Kathleen for sharing your inspiring story and advice - hope to see you on the bestseller lists very soon! x