Noblesse Oblige ...

Our resident starlet and scourge of advertising execs everywhere Scarlet has graciously awarded WKDN the Noblesse Oblige award. It is a heavyweight blog award, and I'm very touched.

The recipient of this award is recognised for the following:

1) The Blogger manifests exemplary attitude, respecting the nuances that pervades amongst different cultures and beliefs.
2) The Blog contents inspire; strives to encourage and offers solutions.
3) There is a clear purpose at the Blog; one that fosters a better understanding on Social, Political, Economic, the Arts, Culture and Sciences and Beliefs.
4) The Blog is refreshing and creative.
5) The Blogger promotes friendship and positive thinking.

The Blogger who receives this award will need to perform the following steps:

1) Create a Post with a mention and link to the person who presented the Noblesse Oblige Award.
2) The Award Conditions must be displayed at the Post.
3) Write a short article about what the Blog has thus far achieved – preferably citing one or more older post to support.
4) The Blogger must present the Noblesse Oblige Award in concurrence with the Award conditions.
5) Blogger must display the Award at any location at the Blog.

Phew. As we approach WKDN's blogoversary, what has it achieved? A year ago 'Wife in the North' was all over the papers. The pilot thought blogging was insane (if not a little sad - he still does), but I was - frankly - feeling pretty frustrated with writing. 'Frustrated' is the polite word if I'm being honest. Which is probably why my first post was about Contentment. After sacrificing Venice to hire an editor to work on book one, I waited a year for it to be submitted by my first agent - nada. On her encouragement I'd finished book two ... and waited. The story of this was filled in by this post. If you want to write professionally you accept the length of time things take - up to a point.

Giving up was never an option (I don't know at what point determined turns into delusional), but rather than sitting back waiting to see the book published, I thought why not do something useful (I mean, as well as running a business, a home and raising children - like we're all sitting around twiddling our thumbs ...)? I had a hunch there must be other writers out there - some just starting out, and perhaps there was a way to reach out and share some ideas about writing. Perhaps a blog for people juggling life and writing might help make the waiting for all of us a little easier and a lot more fun.

Will You Slow Dance With Me? is a pretty typical post. WKDN was never intended as a 'nuts and bolts' type writing site (and that post roams all over the place). You won't find any 'write 250 words about springtime' type assignments, but I hope it's helped people to think outside the box about their work. That it has been read in 90 countries by thousands of people and has a core band of subscribers and commenters is more than I could have hoped for a year ago - it really is like a global writers group, and the contributors to each post make it what it is. So heading towards our 200th post really this award is down to all of you - thank you.

A year on, am I contented? Nope. Am I still waiting to see book one published? Yep. Personally 2008 turned out to be without a doubt the worst year of my life. Everything I felt was certain, isn't - but I'm going to make 2009 a fresh start. The kids are growing, the hound is hairier, the pilot's happily flying, and, professionally, I'm finally with a great, enthusiastic agent so from my side I'm just aiming to keep all the balls in the air and get down to writing better and better books. Writing WKDN with all of you has been a blast - fun, challenging, thought provoking. Long may it continue.

TODAY'S PROMPT: Put down your pens and raise a glass to the Awardees ... I'd like to pass this on to all of you, but it goes to our transatlantic comedy duo Emma & Misssy, to the teachers we wish we had had - Pseudo, and VodkaMom, and to three people I learn something from with every visit to your sites Tessa, John and Shelly. Several of you are in the process of submitting manuscripts, some of you are already published writers. All of you have reached out beyond the blogs, and shared your work, friendship and advice. Prof Shelly is our sensei - his posts are the MA in Creative Writing I never had the chance to do with all the travelling and parenting, and I'd like to give him a special mention for the incredibly generous way he shares his expertise with all of us. Congratulations all x