We Love Richard & Judy


Browsing the bestsellers in Waterstone's yesterday it struck me that if you aren't yet a fabulous brand name (King, Cooper, Binchy, Grisham), haven't snogged a rock star, bagged a footballer, or suffered horrible abuse as a child how on earth do you make it onto those magic numbered shelves? Fortunately we have the patron saints of book clubs - Oprah in the US and our very own Richard & Judy in the UK. Their shows have worked wonders for many new authors, and now there's an additional reason to love R&J - they inspired today's guest blogger to get writing. It has been a joy following Caroline Smailes' success over the last year, and I'm delighted to welcome her here today with her top tips for people juggling work and family. Caroline has just signed with her dream agent, so I look forward to seeing her books on the bestseller lists soon. Over to Caroline:

My writing career was kicked into life in 2005, thanks to Richard and Judy. It was lunchtime, my daughter was toddling around and I was listening to Richard calling someone a ‘nearly woman’, saying that they nearly did something but never quite managed to pull it off. At that time I was in my second year of a PhD study and lecturing in Linguistics. I was juggling part-time work, part-time study and three young children. And, somehow, in my spare time I had written a really really rubbish novel (that no one will ever see). I didn’t finish my lunch and instead I emailed a colleague telling her that I was a ‘nearly’ woman and that I didn’t want to be an academic, that I really really wanted to write novels.

Two weeks later, I had given up my PhD and enrolled in an MA in Creative Writing.
A year later, I had finished my first real novel (In Search of Adam), had a website, had an extract from my novel on that website and had started a blog. I’d been blogging for three weeks when Clare from The Friday Project stumbled across my blog and then my website. She asked to see the full manuscript and three days later, I was offered a publishing contract.
And now, In Search of Adam and my second novel Black Boxes have been published by The Friday Project. The journey has been bumpy, as I have seen The Friday Project liquidated and then rising again as an imprint of Harper Collins. I have juggled children, cats, a husband, goldfish, tears, laughter, anxiety and Calpol. And, very very recently, I have managed to find an agent who ‘gets’ my writing and all that I want to do with it.

Throughout the ups and the downs, I have blogged and I have written. So, my top ten tips for writing, juggling work and coping with a family are:

1. Set a daily/weekly word count, but be realistic in your expectations for the amount of words that you will be able to write each day. Some days will be harder than others. If you don’t make your word count, pour yourself a huge glass of wine and start again the next day.
2. Set aside some time specifically for writing. Then be sure to use it for writing!
3. Try and write when family will not intervene - when the children are in bed is a good time. But accept that you’ll feel tired and will probably go to bed with characters bouncing around inside your head.
4. Try and designate a particular part of your house as your writing zone. Pick an area where you can leave notes and papers and books open, ready for your next session. And remove all distractions from that area.
5. Try and fit in what you can when you can. Ten minutes in the car waiting for your children might be just long enough to jot down a few notes on your next chapter. So, always carry around a notebook and pen.
6. Always leave your writing knowing what you will write next. I often force myself to stop and leave a little note to myself with details for the next writing session.
7. Sometimes it is best that only your nearest and dearest know that you are writing a novel. The last thing you want is the a playground mum asking you (weekly) if you’re published yet.
8. Remember some days will be better than others. Take the rough with the smooth - every word you write is a victory.
9. If you are struggling for time, then try replacing Coronation Street or vacuuming with half an hour writing instead - the time and the words soon add up.
10. Never ever ever give up!

TODAY'S PROMPT: For any of us juggling like crazy, Caroline is an inspiring example. With hard work and passion it is possible. Books are being published, agents are signing good authors. These tips are great - you can have it all, but be realistic (and kind to yourself). 'Every word is a victory' is something we should have pinned above our desks. Today, why not have a think about the way you use your time - when you are swept away in the daily chaos of home, family, work, it is all too easy to find excuses ('I haven't got time to write'/'I'm too tired'/'Countdown is on ...) Boondoggling is a writer's worst enemy. Carve out a space for yourself, claw back even half an hour a day for your writing and I guarantee it will become something you look forward to every single day.