Peach Sunday


One of the amazing things about the internet is the way in which you see your own random thoughts take solid shape. As I watched the children playing on the beach with the hound I was thinking 'This - this is what it is all about. This is happiness.' As I said I've been trying hard to 'stay in the moment' lately - at times like that you start to feel like you might be getting somewhere. The two year old's first proper sentence is 'Blue Sky!', and he was laughing, dancing round in circles pointing upwards 'Blue Sky! Blue Sky!' When does life get complicated? Perhaps if we all just lightened up, laughed more, took simple pleasures in things like the sky being blue we would be happier far more often. I began thinking about all the routes, faiths, and thought systems people follow to get here. Hey presto - browsing around Blogher, I came across The Happiness Project. What a fantastic idea - and thank you Gretchen for the resolution charts. One of my first is to think of ways to make The Pram in the Hall a really useful writing site for all of us juggling like crazy.

So, it's Sunday, it's summertime - think of dear old Prufrock and get out there: life's short, be happy, eat that peach.

'Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me.'

‘The Love Song of Alfred J Prufrock’ – 1917 T S Eliot
And for anyone questioning whether love and happiness have limitations take a look at this story from today's Times. Enjoy. (Wipes away a joyful tear). I'm off to hug the hound.