Love, Hope, Dreams



"We dream the dream, and we want it to be easy. But it’s not that simple. It’s not always easy. It’s hard work, it’s perseverance, it’s making sure you’ve got the goods when the opportunity comes along.

So, when do you quit?

You quit when you want something else, more. You quit when you have another dream that means more to you.

I kept writing. There were days when the economy here was so bad, there was very little work, and we dug the change out of the sofa to get enough money to put enough gas in the truck for my husband to get to work, and he had to get paid before he left, or he wouldn’t have had enough gas to make it home. I understand hardships and heartbreak, depression and frustration. But “no” is not an option. It is only an obstacle."

- Toni McGee Causey

Does this speak to anyone? I read Toni's post on the Novel Racers site - she could be writing about my life (you have no idea of the pilot's fascination with Jerry cans - it's like Mad Max around here). A lot of us are up against it right now - perhaps more than ever. So when the world is falling down around your ears, how do you keep going?

You write because you love it. Because you can't imagine doing anything else. You write because you hope that love, that passion for your story will come through loud and clear to a publisher, an agent, an editor - and most of all to your readers. You write because you hope things are going to change.

When I was looking for a video clip of 'Accentuate the Positive' for today's post, I came across this ad for an Australian insurance company. Apparently it was such a successful pitch for the brand they released a CD of swing music. What does that tell you?

Brand is it. If I've learnt anything in the last few weeks, it is that writing your heart out isn't good enough. As a new author, you have to be relevant to your readers - you have to build a brand that people will follow because somehow they feel you 'get' them and they 'get' you. I've gone back to the drawing board in the last couple of days, and dug out all my old marketing files from when I built the brand that was my art company. I figured maybe these tools could be applied to a person and their creative work as well as a business. I think it can.

I'm rewriting, and Stephen King's advice has been ringing in my ears: in the first draft you are figuring out what the story is. In the second you are making it clearer. He also said something along the lines of characters can be as much of a surprise to their authors as they can be to their readers. So true - I had Evie down as Ava Gardner, but re-reading she's definitely a Vivien Leigh. And frankly my dear, I do give a damn. Everything else may have fallen apart but Evie's story is going to be my best yet.

I've done my brainstorming this week, and I'm clear - whatever else is going on in life, I want my work to be original, romantic, uplifting. I believe in all this, (just watching some of the Remembrance services this weekend I saw what I've been writing about echoed - 'old fashioned' values like bravery, sacrifice, hope, decency). I've always had this reader in mind, someone who is going through a tough time, hustling on the tube or bus to work, and she's reading my book. What you want is for her to miss her stop because she's so carried away (and then not to mind walking an extra block back to work). As Mr King said: 'make your reader welcome and tell a story. Make him or her forget. Writing is seduction'.

Writing is also about enriching lives - yours, your readers, everyone who comes in to contact with your book. 'It's about getting up, getting well, getting over, getting happy' (King). So, who's with me? To love, hope and dreams ...

TODAY'S PROMPT: One of the single most useful exercises I went through building the company was working out a 'brand pyramid'. I've adapted it to writing (I hope this works as I converted the text to html but if it doesn't and you want a copy, email me!):

BRAND PYRAMID FOR AUTHORS

www.katelordbrown.com

Personality

Values: what does the reader value (1)

Values: what does the reader value (2)

Values: what does the reader value (3)

Emotions: what does the reader feel (1)

Emotions: what does the reader feel (2)

Emotions: what does the reader feel (3)

Benefits: to the reader (1)

Benefits: to the reader (2)

Benefits: to the reader (3)

Attributes: what are the unique features of your writing (1)

Attributes: what are the unique features of your writing (2)

Attributes: what are the unique features of your writing (3)

NB In a traditional brand pyramid the ‘reader’ is the ‘customer’. ‘Personality’ is the person or character who embodies and exemplifies the spirit of the brand – in terms of writing it could be you, your main character, or someone inspiring.


The idea is you start at the bottom - what's your USP? Then you figure out what that gives your readers, what does it make them feel, what do they value about it? Then finally you say who embodies all that? Is it you? Is it your protagonist? Is it a person (famous or un-famous) you admire? Sometimes it really helps to set things down in black and white - you know why your work is unique, but until you get your message clear, maybe other people won't see that.


PS - yes, turns out the pyramid doesn't fit Blogger. If you'd like to drop me an email I'd be happy to mail you a copy :)