Hit Refresh


What's your earliest memory of books? Realising that reading, and writing, were something special to you? I have a few: Reading a Ladybird book to my Mum in my pink bedroom, age 4 or 5, sunlight falling through the window. Maybe this was the first time words began to magically string together as sentences. Climbing the shelves of my wardrobe to get at the books on the top shelf (which had been deemed 'too grown up') - I remember the yellow and gold cover of 1001 Nights. (Actually that's a good tip - if there's a book you'd love your kids to read, just tell them they can't and put it out of reach). The memory that really sticks with me is reading under the oak tree in the orchard, looking back at the house. The opening of 'The Time Traveller's Wife' reminded me of this - and I think of it every time I see the much-loved painting 'Christina's World' by Wyeth (who died this month). I was five, it was summer time - the meadow was a sea of yellow buttercups, the sky vivid, cloudless blue. I had an apple, and a picture book. It was a perfectly happy moment.

I've just spent my first child-free twenty four hours in seven years - the pilot took the children to visit his parents. I missed them, but (and any parent will appreciate this) - oh, my, goodness ... the peace, the quiet, the chance to think in a straight line. When I told a friend I had the house to myself for a night, her eyes opened wide with longing. 'You can do anything! Sleep in ...' she sighed, 'don't have to cook.' After only one day I feel more myself. If you get a chance to do the same, jump at it! As today's video clip reminds us, childhood goes by so fast but while you are guiding yours through these early years, I'm realising you have to find time for yourself too.

TODAY'S PROMPT: Have you always written, or is this something you have come to as an adult? I first realised the pleasure you can give other people with your words writing love letters for friends to give their boyfriends on the school bus. Then I wrote plays - press ganging my brother, cats, dogs, friends into performing. I guess it was as a teenager I started to write seriously, and winning a short story competition encouraged me. Today why not have a think about your earliest memories of books and writing - jot down the images that come to you, recall your favourite books, share the stories with your children. It all goes by so fast - sometimes it's good to recall where it all began.